Channa masala or chickpea curry is one of the most popular indian recipes. Here is an authentic family recipe that is vegan and gluten free.
To cook the dried chickpeas
- 1/4 cup chickpea ( cooked and drained)
- 2 cups drinking water ( for soaking the chickpeas)
- 1 cup drinking water ( for cooking the chickpeas)
- 1-2 pieces dried gooseberry ( amla or use 1 black tea bag)
To make the gravy
- 1/2 cup aquafaba The cooking liquid from the chickpeas or use vegetable stock.
- 1/2 cup buna masala
For the channa masala spice mix ( makes enough for 6-8 servings)
- 1 medium bayleaf tej patta
- 2 cloves laung
- 1 inch cinnamon stick dalchini
- 3-4 Black pepper kalimirch
- 1/4 tsp carom seeds ajwain
- 1 fennel seed saunf
- 1 cumin seeds jeera
- 1 coriander seeds
- 1 dry red chillies
- 1/2 tsp pomegranate seeds ( dried pomegranate seeds are used in indian cooking, Swap for dried mango powder if you dont have anardhana)
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves
- 4-5 pieces fresh ginger root (julliened)
- 1 tbsp coconut cream
to make the masala mix
Dry roast the ingredients for the masala powder on a low heat.
Once crispy, let it cool.
Powder them together and set it aside till needed.
to cook the dried chickpeas
Soak the dried chickpeas for about 4-6 hours.
Drain the soaked chickpeas after the time and pressure cook with thewaterand dried gooseberry ( indian pressure cooker) for 3-4 whistles.
Simmer for another 10 minutes.
Let the pressure release naturally.
To make the channa masala
Into a deep pan add the thawed bunamasala and the aquafaba and bring it to a simmer.
Add the cooked chickpeas to this and mix well.
Adjust the salt, sprinkle 1/2tsp of teh masala powder.
Let this simmer for a 5-7 minutes.
Transfer the channa masala into a serving dish, garnish with coriander leaves, coconut creme and ginger julliene.
Serve warm. ( check out the pairing options given below)