Growing up to very reasonable parents as a single child the one person I was scared of was my dad. I am sure he did nothing to create the scare in me, it was just me carrying the feeling. Being that stricter dad perhaps worked for him as it kept me in check as a teen and have a fairly not so turbulent teen time. I do thank him and care deeply about him every day. I see my children grow up now to a very different style of dad power. Yet even in them, I see a sense of cautiousness in the approach. To take something up to dad has to be more perfect than what it is when shown to mum. Only the best shared with him and they care so deeply about their dad.
So to all dad heroes, all shapes, sizes and parenting styles, you deserve the best. Here are some unsung praises for your efforts. Here is our treat, one of our best mulberry cake for you.
Love yogurt cakes all over again
The moist softness that yogurt cakes have are simply the best. There are not many cake recipes that I have tried out that match the rise and softness of a yogurt cake. The natural fat in the yogurt prevents the cake from drying out. This creates such a moist melt in the mouthfeel.
The acidic reaction between the yogurt and baking soda helps the cake to rise effectively.
The golden colour of the baked cake is so beautiful, kind of reminds me of a classic pound cake.
The yogurt also has a good amount of protein, so technically you can serve this as a breakfast cake or perfect at brunch. As you already know the yogurt is recommended for calcium and other minerals, that you have now added in perfectly.
Kinds of yogurt you can use
The best that I have tested this cake is with natural set yogurt and vanilla flavoured greek yogurt. Please avoid the low-fat yogurt as it has not much creamy fat to add and the cake dries out. The flavoured yogurt should be fine if you pair it with a berry that matches the flavour.
Which berry to use?
I have a self-proclaimed affinity to mulberries as you can see throughout this blog. I love to freeze them or go crazy with them in the mulberry season. Hence I used the mulberries. The tartness of the mulberries was perfect with the sweet moistness of this mulberry cake. If you are choosing a flavoured yogurt, the strawberries, raspberries or blueberries should work wonderfully. If you are trying some other berries, we would love to hear your views.
Mulberry Yogurt cake
- mixing bowls and spoons.
- cake mould
- 1 cup yogurt (I used natural set yogurt)
- 1/2 cup unrefined sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 1/4 cup oil ( I used sunflower oil)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest optional
- 1 pinch salt
Berries and toppings
- 1 cup mulberry (swap to any other fresh berries)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Line a cake mould, brush it with oil and dust with a bit of flour. Set it aside till the batter is ready.
- Into the mixing bowl add the wet ingredients, cracked egg and whisk.
- Once the sugar had dissolved and the oil creamed into the mix the wet mix is ready.
- Sift in the dry ingredients.
- Fold the dry mix gently into the wet mix.
- Do not over mix, you will end up with a rubbery cake.
- Toss in half the berries and give them a quick mix.
- Pour the batter into a cake mould.
- Top the cake with more berries.
- Bake the cake at 180 degree for 20 minutes ( approximately, changes may be needed based on your oven)
- Test cake with a skewer that comes out clean if the cake is baked well.
- Remove from the oven and cool the cake at room temperature.
- Unmould the cake, slice and serve.
Leftover mulberry cake storage.
The yogurt mulberry cake stays well for 4 to 5 days wrapped and stored in an airtight box. You can even slice it and layer it up in an airtight box. I have not tried freezing the cake as each time I make it there is hardly any left. So here as well I will like to hear your feedback.
If you have collected more mulberries, save them to make this incredible mulberry spinach rainbow salad. Hope you will make the mulberry cake and let us know your feedback. As for the wonderful humans, dads you are always cherished. Subscribe to our blog to keep up with the new updates. It will be perfect to hear your suggestions tips and tricks.