When the beach season opens up, all of a sudden it feels too heavy to eat a big lunch or have a hearty bowl of soup for dinner. With the change of weather to a warmer season, we have fresh fruit and veggies in the market. Light salads, fresh fruit sorbets and drinks become the chosen ones.
Then comes the colours. The most colourful salads are the ones that we go in for first. Then there is a bit of fruit that brings in a burst of sweetness while having the greens. When you browse through my section if salads, I am sure you will notice that many of them do carry some fruit or berry in it. I find these salads more appetising.
This mulberry salad
Mulberry season going on and leaving us with purple-stained fingers and streaks of the juice from the squished mulberries on our clothes. Foraging is the best way to get these gorgeous berries, fresh and straight from the tree. We have been pretty lucky with couple of places that we could find them this year. Here is one of the locations we found these gorgeous berries.
With the freshest juiciest berries here is a simple salad. I absolutely adore the colours of the peppers and the spinach with the mulberries creating a rainbow on the plate. The salad dressing is in fact a very simple Italian dressing. The same is used in the carrot and bell peppers salad made as an earlier post. This salad also tastes amazing with a zero oil, lemon, juice salt and pepper dressing.
No mulberries, no worries.
If you can’t get any mulberries, for this spinach mulberry salad recipe, what works well works is some strawberries or grapes. The more colours of peppers you have the better. I refrain from adding tomatoes to this salad as it takes away the flavour of the mulberries. Avoiding nuts, chuck in some roasted chickpeas or toasted quinoa for the crunch. ( check this link on how to toast quinoa perfectly)
That’s good for now, let’s get you on with the recipe.
Click on this link to prepare the dressing-Italian salad dressing.
Get that sun, eat a lot of colours in your diet and stay safe. At the beach don’t forget to keep your distance and pack this salad in your cooler box with some refreshing Passionfruit Caipifruta. See you another day.
Spinach, peppers and mulberry salad
- 3 cups Spinach use baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup mulberry
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup Assorted nuts
- 3 tbsp italian dressing use a bit more ifyou prefer so
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp crushed black pepper
- Wash and set the spinach to drain well.
- Clean the mulberries. Remove the stack of the mulberries and cut the big ones in halves.
- Wash and core the bell peppers and slice them thinly.
- Prepare the Italian dressing ( check the link above in the post for the recipe).
- In a mixing bowl toss in the peppers, spinach, mulberries and nuts.
- Pour the dressing, the crushed peppers and sprinkle a bit of salt and toss all well together.
- Serve immediately as the mulberries tend to bleed if kept for long in the dressing.