Mushrooms have an intense earthiness about them. They are rich in minerals. Here is one mushroom recipe to highlight them during your entertaining evenings. Its a perfect simple one bite wonder, exploding in flavour from the spices and the underlying tomato flavour.
Being low calorie, mineral rich, low sodium, and a good source of vit B mushroom are a wonderful addition to a meal. With the extend and variety of the mushrooms available, it will be a great addition to the variety in the dishes.
This recipe is excellent starter for any party. Of course you will earn stars for your wonderful creation. Pair it up with a virgin cherry mojito..you are the best host.
You can check out some more party menu up here. Leaving you with a few thoughts below.
Mushroom finger rolls
One bite wonder
- Puff pastry sheets Frozen / you coun make it fresh too
- 1 large red onion
- 2 tubs button mushrooms
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- salt to taste
- 0.5 tsp black pepper powder
- 0.5 tsp dry oregano
- 10 italian basil
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Thaw the frozen puff pastry sheets
To prepare the filling
- Clean and thinly slice the onion.
- Wipe the mushrooms with a wet cloth and slice them thin too.
- Heat a tsp of oil in a pan, add in the sliced onions, sprinkle salt and allow them to sweat.
- Add in the mushrooms a little at a time allowing them to firm a crisper texture than steaming all together. Adding a little at a time is important because we are adding only very little oil and the mushrooms love to soak up a lot of oil.
- Once a semi dry texture is attained, add the tomato puree, ketchup. Saute well. Sprinkle on a bit of water and cover and cook for a few minutes.
- Sprinkle pepper, salt.and oregano. Mix well. Cook for two to three minutes.
- Take off the heat, add chopped basil leaves and set aside to cool
- Pre heat the oven at 160 degrees for 10 minutes
- Make one and a half inch wide strips of the puff pastry sheet.
- Put one tbsp of the filling atone end off the strip and gently roll.
- Brush with oil on top. Place slightly apart on the baking tray
- Bake at 160, for approximately 15minutes. Till the tops turn golden.
- Remove and cool on a wire rack.
- Serve with cool tzatziki or cream cheese dip.
- Mushrooms are of different cook times so if you change the mushroom change the cooking time too.
- The mushrooms which work well are Shitake, cremini, and oyster mushrooms. If you are using dry mushrooms be sure to soak them.
Serving: 50gCalories: 122kcalCarbohydrates: 13gProtein: 3gFat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.1gMonounsaturated Fat: 0.2gSodium: 251mgPotassium: 31mgFiber: 1gSugar: 2g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!