Rajma or kidney beans is one of the world’s super healthiest foods. Next to chickpea most vegans add kidney beans to their diet for the nutrition quotient towards proteins. Yes, just like any other bean it is rich in proteins too.
To me, the most quirky details makes me really value the food. With respect to kidney beans, it definitely is the fact that this bean contains the trace element molybdenum needed for the body.
Why does our body need molybdenum?
Sulphites are common additives found in the picks at salad bars and dressing. Now invariably, being vegetarians, we often end up at the salad bar with some dressing to go on top and yes it contains sulphites. Now the mechanism to flush it out of our system is through the enzyme sulfite oxidase.
Molybdenum is the key ingredient of this enzyme. Thereby aiding the process of oxidation of sulphites.
Sulfites occur naturally in products of fermentation and are allies to improve the shelf life of products even dry fruits.The real issue is when a person is sensitive to the sulphite or if the levels of the enzyme in the body are low!! It can cause allergic symptoms, increased heart rate , headaches or even disorientation. so here we have Kidney beans supplying the necessary molybdenum.
Now to the recipe
The simplest idea to enjoy it as a snack- Rajma podi sundal. This is an easy make to add the necessary goodness. With the ready made Sundal podi (Sundal podi– click here for the recipe)
Everything gets even better as it is low oil and low glycemic index.
I do make my portion of soaked and cooked Rajma ( kidney bean) for the week as a prep. It appears as Sundal most of the time or as a rajma curry. Either way, try and include some in your diet too.
Try out this no onion no garlic, perfect for fasting and ‘Navratri naivedyam’ rajma Sundal recipe here to make your ‘golu’ days happier too.
Try out some more healthy mineral rich recipes from the links below
or check out the special diets page for extensive collection to suit your diet.
Rajma podi sundal
Kidney bean snack
- 1.5 cups kidney beans red rajma
- 2 tbsp sundal podi check link above for the detailed recipe
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp fresh herbs of choice chopped
- Soak the dry kidney beans in water, covering them and an inch above the level of kidney beans, for about 6 hour till they swell up to double the size.
- Drain the water.
- Into a pressure pan, add the soaked beans a pinch of salt and 2 cups of water.
- Cover and pressure cook for 3 whistles. Simmer for another 7 minutes. remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- When the pressure is released, remove 4-5 tbsp of the cooked water and the drain out the beans.
- Add them into a mixing bowl and add the sundal podi, chopped herbs and toss well. Use the reserved cooked water if the beans feel too dry.
- Salt check and serve warm.
If using canned beans, drain out the water , wash off the excess salt and use directly with the podi and herbs.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!