Chickpea/ garbanzo beans / Channa/ kondakadali is one of the most common beans used world over. It appears in two colors predominately- a white one and a darker version. Both are equally beneficial with respect to their protein content. Chickpea is preferred in many preparations due to their ability to hold texture and a nut like flavor. Its used in salads, fritters, hummus, falafels etc.being rich in dietary fiber and iron it is recommended good for vegetarians and vegans.
Presenting here a simple preparation of a salad suitable and filling for the health conscious and diabetics as it has a low glycemic index ( causes lower sugar spike )
try out more healthy recipes
- 8 tbsp chickpea dry
- 1 english Cucumber
- 1 Tomato medium
- 1 Onion yellow, small
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- 1 tsp fresh herbs cilantro, dill, mint etc
- 1/2 tsp chaat masala
- salt to taste
- Soak the garbanzo beans in excess water for two to three hours.
- Pressure cook the beans with excess water, till soft but not mashed...approximately needs 4 long whistles.
- Cool, drain the beans ( dont discard the cooking liquid- use it in gravy or to knead flat breads). Set the beans to cool.
- Chop the cucumber, tomato and onion into one cm cubes.
- In a mixing bowl toss in the cooked drained beans, the chopped cucumbers, tomatoes and onions.
- Sprinkle the chaat masala. Add the lemon juice and herbs.
- Toss all well together. Taste test.
- Enjoy your serving of a healthy salad
the liquid from cooking the chickpea is aquafaba. It is a effective egg replacement.