Being a mum is like being a superwoman. Working a job, devoting yourself to various chores, practice sessions for kids, matches and concerts you need to attend and the list goes on endless. The food and the grocery still need to be done and made. This is where we all need a helping hand.
There is absolutely no shame in accepting a hand to help for all superpowers do take help of a sidekick or two. I have chores that the kids help. My husband does cook at times and gleefully heads to the market. Then I do have a secret or two when all looks dull, instant eats. I am fully aware that it is not the sustainable option not it is nutritionally superior. Give it a few twists and turns and your dinner is still a warm one on the table.
I do have a couple of packs of instant noodles and some instant rice vermicelli that I keep. After all, I have teens at home, worse than cranky toddlers when hungry!!
This time I thought of showing you my quick twist to bulk up that plain vermicelli noodles.
The generous a quantity of pumpkin and kale in this recipe help to add the vegetable component and the nuts and seeds to a bit of the protein. Indeed the comfort factor comes from the quick-cooking, gluten-free, rice vermicelli. A quick soak in warm water and the noodles are ready to toss in. Isn’t that what we are looking for?
This is the recipe I am adding to A to Z recipe challenge. In this inspiring group, we challenge ourselves as bloggers to develop recipes that utilise ingredients based on an alphabet a month. We have worked our way through a lot of these and now reached alphabet P. So I chose pumpkin and peanuts to bring forth the recipe. The group brings about very exciting recipes each month. Stay tuned for the collection
Do you have some more rice noodle vermicelli left?
Stay safe and bring forth superwoman you already are and never apologise about using a shortcut menu.
Pumkin and Kale sevai with peanuts.
Toprepare the noodles
- 250 grams rice noodle
- 6 cups hot water
- 1 tbsp Sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1-3 dry red chillies (optional)
- 2 cups pumpkin diced
- 1/2 cup peanuts (I have used skinned and roasted ones. )
- 2 cups kale chopped
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- 2 tbsp dessicated coconut
- 1 tbsp bisibelebath masala (check recipe on a previous blogpost.)
- 2 tbsp flax seeds powdered.
To prepare the noodles
- Boil the water and add to a bowl. Soak the rice noodles carefully in this for about 3 minutes or as per package instructions.
- Drain the soaked rice noodles and set aside. Keep covered so they do not dry up.
for the stirfry
- Into a wok or deep pan, add the oil followed by the mustard and fenugreek seeds.
- When the mustard splutters add the peanuts and the pumpkins and saute.
- Add the salt and pepper and mix well. the salt needs to account for the noodles as well as most brands of noodles come without any added salt.
- Now mix in the chopped kale and cover and cook for f few minutes till the pumpkins soften. If the pumpkin variety you have takes a bit of time to cook add a few tsp of water to help it steam.
- After 2-3 minutes open the lid carefully ( there will be a lot of steam) and mix well.
- Add the Bisi Bele bath masala, coconut and flax seed powder and stirfry for another minute.
- Add the drained rice noodles and stirfry all together.
- Once the noodles are well coated, the noodles are ready to serve.
- Enjoy it with some roasted tomato chutney.