If you looking for a warm comforting veggie filled dish on your dinner plate what you probably need is a foogath. Foogath is a goan style side dish.
Goa, the popular happy beach destination of India is unique in every way. Being under the Portuguese influence for many years the Goan cuisine is an amalgamation of indo western cooking techniques. This makes it a stand out for flavors and styles. In addition the coastal freshness of coconut, kokum and the spices an oomph to the flavors. Though the cuisine is popular for its sea food, the veggie platter of this cuisine plates up some lip-smacking dishes in a healthy format. with the perfect beaches and sea to enjoy all you need is a bikini diet to flaunt your healthy body.
Yep so add up to the beach bikini body diet – A healthy French bean/ string beans foogath. Definitely it is lean and fresh.
In this current recipe I have added two methods the regular stove top method and a microwave recipe.
The recipe can be done with French beans, cabbage or cauliflower, more so with combinations of these too..all versions are equally delectable.
Check out more interesting healthy Veggie recipes at the gastronomic delights.
Simple cucumber raita
Leaving a few key links for your quick reference. you could subscribe for updates to keep up to date for healthy recipes
French beans Foogath
Vegetables to Prep
- 250 grams french beans String beans
- 1 shallot
- 1 green chilli chopped , remove seeds.
- 1 tbsp oil coconut / sunflower / mustard
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida hing
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp coconut fresh grated
- Wash the beans clean. String the beans to remove the fibrous thread which runs along the sides.
- Cut the beans slanting to create diagonal cuts... it makes it the eating experience all so better. Set aside.
- Clean the shallot and slice thin. Set aside.
- Chopp the green chilli small after removing the seed. add along with the Shallot.
- In a wok add the oil and the mustard seed.
- As the mustard seed crackle, add the shallot and chillies chopped. Saute for a minute till the oil turns aromatic.
- Add the cut beans and saute well.
- Sprinkle salt, and hing powder.
- Stir well for a minute and add quarter cup of water
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes on medium flame.
- Open the lid , sprinkle the coconut and toss well.
- There will be a bit of water, keep tossing till the water evaporates on a open flame.
- Serve hot with steaming rice and kokum flavoured curry for a complete meal.
- Use microwave cooking safe bowl with lid.
- Add the oil into the bowl and the mustard seeds. cover with the lid Set onhigh for2 minutes, to allow the mustard seeds to crackle.
- Next, add the shallots, chillies and . Cover with a lid and set on high for 3 minutes.
- Add the beans, and toss in to coat with the oil. Sprinkle the salt, hing and toss again,
- Sprinkle a handful of water, cover with a lid and set on 5 minutes on a high.
- Open the lid carefully as the steam may scald. be careful. Add in the coconut and stir in well.
- Its ready to serve.
You can add curry leaves along with the shallots. Use green chillies based on your spice levels, you can avoid it if you dont like them. You can squeeze in a bit of lemon to just brighten up the flavours
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!