It is winter and the abundance of fresh winter veggies from my recent Paddy’s market haul makes me wonder if I just went a bit overboard. Now that is what happens when I go to the veggie market. My freezer is full of veggies processed and frozen. The lemons pickled, mandarins gobbled, long beans steamed and swallowed and now I have this beautiful, crunchy radish.
My dad never liked radishes so we hardly ever bought them when I was small. Mom, on the other hand, loved them. Thankfully my husbands family thinks they are the best for Sambhar. I love to have them raw. So here is my personal favourite…salad with sweet pears and a nutty tahini dressing.
A little more about the radishes
- Radishes are a weight watchers friend as they are quite low in calories.
- Loaded with Vit C, this cruciferous vegetable is great protection for the flu season
- Studied towards tumour development prevention, the radish has compounds that get metabolised into isothiocyanate. This helps to prevent the development of tumours.
- Radishes have a lot of water in them abs hence keeps you hydrated.
- Reduction of toxin-induced gastric ulcers is a proven fact with radishes
- Used as a strong detox agent in traditional medicine, raw radish is highly beneficial.
- With a measurable amount of potassium and Vit K these can help the blood vascular system health. source
I am sure you may have shed a few of your apprehensions towards this underrated root vegetable by now.
More recipes with radishes
When you have those gorgeous radish leaves add them to this salad or try the recipe given below.
Here is the recipe for a quick and easy sambhar that you can try with just radishes
Be it daikon, red salad radishes or the long reddish brown ones, the pungent, slightly spicy crunch is all about health. Try it in this combo with pears ad the pears help to soothe the spiciness. The dressing of tahini is nutty, aromatic and creamy. It coats the radishes well.
Do let me know what you feel about this salad. Don’t miss to tag @mildlyindian as you try out this recipe.
Here is the pin for later
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram.
Radish and pear salad
with citrus tahini dressing.
- 2 cups radishes sliced, red salad variety
- 2 medium pears
- 15-20 mint leaves
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 3 tbsp Lemon juice ( swap to any citrus you have at hand)
- 1/4 tsp red chilli flaked
- salt to taste
- crushed black pepper to taste
- Wash and slice the radishes thiny as you can.
- Core the pear and cut them into thin wedges.
- Add the veggies into radishes and pears with the mint.
- Into a small bowl, add the tahini, the lemon juice, salt, pepper and the red chilli flakes.
- Whisk them all together.
- Pour generously over the salad veggies and toss the veggies.
- Enjoy the salad
Use limes or oranges to swap the lemons.
Sodium: 241mgSugar: 7gFiber: 4gPotassium: 353mgCalories: 94kcalMonounsaturated Fat: 0.04gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.1gSaturated Fat: 1gFat: 4gProtein: 3gCarbohydrates: 13g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!