In the past couple of days, the weather has been brilliant. I love it when there is the sun to rise to in the morning and watch the colours dispel the darkness. A pleasant climate with a touch of cold weather is the one we have.
The mid-day warmth reminded me of summer barbecues. It is still a bit really, but I couldn’t resist the taste of the creamy salads that we have along with the grilled paneer or kebabs. So that’s exactly what we have here, a summer-perfect shredded lettuce salad, with a small change. We have omitted the usual cream and sour cream and opened for the leaner, low fat, probiotic-rich, natural set, unflavoured yogurt. The flavours were spot on, in fact, the usual creamy heaviness being absent made this shredded lettuce salad spectacular.
Shredded lettuce salad
- mixing bowls and spoons.
- Cutting board
- 1 cup sweet pepprs jullianned.
- 3 cups lettuce ( icerberg or Romaine)
For the dressing
- 1/2 cup low fat yogurt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp mixed herbs (dried)
- 1/2 tsp paprika (or Kashmiri chilli powder)
- Into the mixing bowl add the ingredients for the dressing.
- Whisk together till it forms a creamy smooth paste.
- Add the shredded lettuce, thinly sliced sweet peppers into the mixing bowl.
- Toss the salad well to coat the dressing on the salad veggies.
- Serve the salad immediately.
What more can you add to this salad?
The absence of the usual cream sweetness set me thinking that perhaps I can add in some raisins. If you happen to keep this salad for a while, the lettuce loses the crunch so if your BBQ gathering will run a little longer, chop up some nuts and add to the salad.
Oohh carrots, yes, please. It is perfect to add to this salad, it will surely taste fantastic.
If you don’t have an iceberg, please Romaine lettuce works well. I could also suggest baby spinach.
That’s all that I could think of at this time. If you have any other suggestions I will love to try them.
If you are at our place for a BBQ, I am sure you will spot a big blue bowl of this. We will love your feedback if you try this at home.