When there is pound of apples and the weather is horrible.. All you need to calm down is a beautiful home bake. The house smells of apples and cinnamon giving a warm feel… A rustic apple cake with chunky bits of apple to dig into.
The cake I should say tastes better than apple pie… As the flour absorbs the lovely apple juice to steam up.. Mmm…mmm…mmmm.
The apple 101
The use of apples in this recipe cuts down a fair bit of sugar too.
- Apples are definitely a high fiber fruit.
- It is a useful fruit for diabetics to prevent sugar spiking..but eat in moderate amounts.
- It’s a well known fruit for reducing cholesterol as it binds with fats in the intestines and helps in their elimination
Ideally, serve this rustic style apple cake warm with a dollop of cream or make a cream cheese frosting.or easier with sweet whipped cream on the side topped with a pinch of cinnamon sugar.
This is my second best voted recipe next to the ever loved whole wheat vegan banana bread.
My test testers felt I could up a bit more on the cinnamon and grate in a bit more of nutmeg.
Bake it and let me know how you feel about it..
Don’t miss to subscribe or follow us on twitter and Instagram for instant updates.
Rustic apple cake
Better than apple pie
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 cup traditional buttermilk
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp egg replacer use two eggs or equivalent flax eggs.
- drinking water for the egg replacer as per pack
- 3 cups apple roughly chopped
- apple slices for decoration
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Grease a large round pan and dust it with flour. Set aside
- Sift the dry ingredients together and set aside in a bowl.
- Prepare the egg replacer as per pack instructions
- Whisk together the butter milk, oil, vanilla extract and egg replacer with sugar till fluffy.
- Now add it the prepared dry mix a little at a time and fold well.
- Add in the apple chopped and mix gently to spread evenly
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Check with a skewer for doneness
- Remove and cool on a wire rack
- Unmould by loosening the sides with a knife.
- Serve with a scoop of lovely icecream.
This is a dense batter and swell by absorbing the moisture from the apples. It also bakes slowly. If you feel the top is getting browned faster cover with an foil which has slits for steam to pass. You can use any type of apples depending on your preference.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!