The South Indian carrot salad is one for ages I have seem my mom and mother in law do. It is the quickest recipe to make we come home back from a trip or we are totally out of any sides. To us this carrot salad recipe becomes our travel companion, in places where it’s really hard to find veggie food. With one of the rasam cubes ( check review https://mildlyindian.com/1-minute-express-rasam-maiyas/ ) or the one for the extreme hunger attacks one the evening. Even a really easy typical south indian dinner with parippu rasam and rice works so well with recipe.
The recipe is utmost simple, a grater, a few fresh carrots, some spices, a lemon and pretty much you are in zone. In under 10 minutes a sumptuous side is ready. The sweetness of the carrots with the mild lemony flavour and perfect balance of curry leaf flavoured oil all makes this very simple recipe stand out.
Todays specialty to this ever simple carrot salad recipe
In today’s creation of this south indian style carrot salad, there is a little set of hands who is helping out. One which is slowly gearing up to prepare small simple meals. Featuring these set of hands which helped to create this beautiful salad today. This is to assure you that this is a recipe even kids can tackle.. Enjoy this fresh crunchy salad recipe.
Adding in more ideas on easy raw creations check out this page https://mildlyindian.com/special-diets/#special-diets+category:raw-juicing
Check us out on instagram, twitter or tumbler @mildlyindian
Don’t miss to subscribe for healthy hearty creations and extensive travel focus with family friendly tips.
South Indian Style carrot salad
Travel friendly salad
- 4-6 carrots fresh
- salt to taste
- 1 lemon
For the tempering
- 1 tbsp cooking oil coconut or sunflower oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Skinned black gram
- 2 green chilli
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- Wash and peel the carrot
- Grate the carrots in a fine or medium texture
- Add this to a mixing bowl. Add salt and the juice of half a large lemon.
- Slice the green chillies set aside. Wash and pat dry the curry leaves and set aside too
- Into a small pan add the oil and set it to heat for tempering
- When the oil is hot add the mustard seeds, the skinned black gram (urad dal) , the sliced chilies and the cleaned curry leaves.
- Let the mustard seeds splutter.
- Pour this tempering over the grated carrots in the mixing bowl
- Mix well.
- Serve or leave chilled till serving time
Add a pinch of hing if you like the flavor. I use the peppercorns pickled and its brining solution instead of the lemon and the chillies, sometimes. Check for the pickle recipe here. Pickle green peppercorn
Sodium: 30mgSugar: 2gFiber: 1gPotassium: 134mgCalories: 41kcalMonounsaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0.3gFat: 3gProtein: 0.5gCarbohydrates: 4g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!