The winged bean Psophocarpus tetragonolobus is known by its multiple names, Dragon bean, four cornered bean,Char Phakiya, Chathura payar, Asparagus beans, Princess Pea, Sigariliyas,Kachang botol,or Goa beans is often seen on the cuisine in South Ea st Asia. It is named in a lot of local remedies and as my favorite wet market green grocer lady informs me….”very good health lah”.
Check out the health benefits of the winged bean in this article
Predominantly seen as a fresh salad or sauteed with a chili based paste the young pods seem to be the favorite. Sauteed, steamed,grilled, roasted or fried this is common as street food all around the region. In the current preparation a simple dipping sauce is used to salad flavors.
Winged bean with Asian dipping Sauce
- 100 g winged bean fresh immature pods
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 small bird's eye chilli finely chopped
- 1 pinch brown sugar
- few strands torch ginger flower
- few drops Sesame oil
- Wash, clean and pat dry the winged beans. String the beans and cut them to size.
- In a small bowl wish together all the ingredients for the dipping sauce
- Enjoy a healthy appetizer.