The versatility of chickpea flour
This beetroot cheela
The beetroot cheela is a fun way of getting that boring repetitive bread out of the way and bring in some colour for the breakfast. A quick mix with some beet juice a great pan to cook them in is all you need. To pair with this recipe looks and tastes fantastic with green chutney. Scroll down for the recipe and make it your breakfast staple.
Here is another protein-rich recipe which needs a bit more prep but is a brilliant post-workout snack as well – Andhra Pesarattu- green gram crepes.
Once you have tried this recipe, do let us know how you like this recipe. Check on our social media handles and follow to get regular updates. We will love to hear the successes and the goof-ups in the recipes we create. Here is our Instagram follow link – Instagram Handle – Mildly Indian
See you on the next post.
This post has been updated with newer images and small changes to the content. The recipe however has not undergone any change. Hope you enjot these new images as much as we enjoy learning and adapting to improve at every step.
- 1 cup chickpea flour (besan/ kadalamaav)
- 3 tbsp beetroot grated or juiced.
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1 pinch Asafoetida
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 2 cup drinking water
for the pancake making
- cooking oil
- Peel and grate a small beetroot on a fine grater and set aside
- Into a mixing bowl add one chickpea, with the spice mixes.
- Mix well and add the grated beetroot and yogurt and mix.
- Add a bit of water at a time and whisk to form a smooth lumpless batter
- Set a flat pan on medium heat and spray oil to form a nonstick surface
- When the pan is hot add a ladle ful of the batter and allow it to spread a bit
- Cook on one side and then flipover and cook the other side.
- Stack the pancakes and serve hot with green chutney or ketchup