Often visiting restaurants is a pain as you travel…. mainly because, by the time you have informed them of the vegetarian needs with enough language barriers and specifies that you dont want egg, fish sauce, chicken, meat, bacon….. and more from the list the waiter is quite baffled… still smiles and points out an option or two.
Penang though has further improved my skills in communicating my needs and getting necessary results. One of the main reasons, Penang understands, vegetarianism. the vegetarian Chinese restaurants taught me a special and easy recipe, healthy no doubt and perfect when you are under the weather. Tung Qua- Winter melon soup.
I guess its time to share it with you too..
This delicious simple soup has the key ingredient, wintermelon. grated or cubed the melon is usually in a flavourful thin broth ( ask for the veggie broth)
Try these too
Tung Qua Chinese Style Wintermelon Soup
- 100 gms wintermelon chopped
- 250 ml vegetable stock
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tbsp gogi berries to garnish
- 1 tbsp cilantro
- 1 tsp pepper ground
- 1 tbsp soy sauce to serve on side
- Wash the winter melon and remove the skin. Core the melon and remove the seeds . Chop into large cubes and into a soup pot pour in the stock, the water and add in the winter melon cubes.
- Cover and boil till cooked. The winter melon appears glassy it is cooked.
- Strain out the melon, don't discard the stock.
- Pulse it coarsely ( optional) and add it back to the stock.
- Warm the soup , add in the pepper powder
- Serve hot with soy sauce on the side and sesame seeds or other nuts to cut through the smoothness of the soup.