When the weather picks up a chill and the taste buds crave Indo Chinese..you should not wait longer. Satisfy it with a big bowl of slurpy hot and sour Chinese style soup.
Indo Chinese cuisine
Indo Chinese cuisine originated from a fusion of Chinese cooking techniques with the first Indian palate. The very well know Gobi Manchurian, chilli paneer, Hakka noodles are all babies of this cuisine. This has slowly progressed to be one of the most sought out hawker style food throughout India. Now the local adaptations of this have brought in a myriad combinations…
With its humble beginnings at kolkata the cuisine has charged forward at its best taking the top place among the most sought out hawker food in India.
Having experienced the proper Chinese cuisine is with Hokkien influences and it’s merger with the local Malay cuisine gives me a much bigger experimental ground.
But today is a straight up hot and sour soup .. I really enjoy making a big Indo chinese meal on some days to satisfy my cravings. This will definitely have soup manchow or hot and sour, fried rice and may be chilli paneer…
Yummy hot and spicy Friday night dinner plan. This is mine.. Aren’t you going to try too?
Here are some from the international cuisine that I experimented with..do try and send in your feedback
Hot and Sour soup
from indo chinese cuisine
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger root chopped fine
- 1 tbsp garlic chopped fine
- 3 inches carrots chopped small
- 4-5 french beans sliced small and diagonally
- 2-3 florets cauliflower chopped fine
- 1/2 medium bell peppers chopped fine
- 2-3 Swiss brown mushrooms optional
- 1/4 cup Cabbage shredded fine
- 1/8 cup green onion chopped
- 1 tbsp soy sauce light
- 1 tsp red chilli sauce unsweetened
- 3 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- salt to taste
- crushed black pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp chinese 5 spice powder
- 1 tbsp Corn Flour ( substitute with arrowroot)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup drinking water
- Chop dice or shred the veggies as required and set aside
- Mix corn flour in 1/4 cup of water and set aside
- In a large wok on medium heat add oil saute ginger and garlic till you get the roasted aroma. Take care not to burn the garlic
- Increase the heat and add carrot, beans,bell pepper,cauliflower, mushrooms and cabbage and saute well for a few minutes
- Add the vegetable stock and bring to boil.
- Add in all the red chilli sauce,soy sauce, tomato ketchup, vinegar and boil. Taste check for a good balance and add salt or any other sauces if necessary
- Add half the quantity of spring onions and stir well
- Add the cornflour slurry and bring to a slow boil with constant stirring. Cook for about 5 minutes more.
- Remove from heat, add in the rest of the green onions and crushed black pepper.
- Serve hot
You could use water and stock cubes as per pack instruction to create the vegetable stock as i do it from scratch... I don't keep many.
Serving: 250gSodium: 613mgSugar: 6gFiber: 1gPotassium: 150mgCalories: 59kcalMonounsaturated Fat: 0.004gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.02gSaturated Fat: 0.01gFat: 0.2gProtein: 1gCarbohydrates: 13g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!