Ingredients to make this lemon macaroni
There is no hard and fast rule about which shape you should use. The recipe works with penne, farfalle, ziti risoni and even spaghetti. Aldente pasta is all you are looking for here. If using fresh pasta, or dried, cook it just firm so it can be tossed again in the tempered spices.
Lemon – the tangy feel and flavour profile of the recipe is from the lemon juice. I use Meyer lemons juice here. The fresh squeeze always tastes better than the juice concentrate.
Indian tempering -the pasta is spotted with a few Indian spices that make this fusion the perfect Indian macaroni recipe. Just like we do for our stirfry rice, I use whole black mustard seeds and urad dal to splutter. To this, we add ginger, garlic and green chillies. This can be as a minced form or as a paste.
Spices and herbs- as the whole seeds, ginger garlic paste gets tempered, you want to add the turmeric powder and asafoetida to the oil and remove it from heat. The turmeric gives the golden colour that works so well with anything lemony (this is the same way we went with peela pulao). The asafoetida makes up for the onion that we have not added. It is a unique flavour, if you are not used to it, add a few spring onions.
For the herbs, I love coriander in this mix. You could go with mint, parsley basil or lemon mint.
With the ingredients ready here is the step by step details with images that makes this fusion pasta the perfect lemon macaroni
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- drinking water for cooking the pasta
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp flax seeds
- 2 tbsp almonds
- 2 tbsp cashewnuts
- 1/2 tsp ginger chopped fine
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 green chill slit
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
To toss into the pasta
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves
- Boil the water and cook the pasta as per pack instructions. Add the salt to the pasta water before cooking the pasta
- Once cooked, drain the pasta and set aside.
- Set a pan and add the oil.
- As it heats up, crackle the mustard followed by the urad dal, nuts ginger, curry leaves, chilies and flax seed.
- When the dal looks golden and the ginger and garlic are aromatic, remove from heat and add the turmeric powder.
- The turmeric will only mildly sizzle, don't allow it to burn .
- Add the cooked macaroni.
- Toss well, add the lemon juice and coriander leaves and mix well.
- The pasta is now ready to serve.
Variations to add to make this pasta
Veggies– you can add up a bunch of veggies to make this pasta more colourful. Roasted Broccoli, carrot, bell peppers (capsicum), kale and zucchini all are perfect here. I will avoid roasted beets as they will take off the beautiful golden yellow colour.
Plan this Indian macaroni on your picnic menu.
Let’s store that leftover lemon macaroni
We hope you will love to share with us your thoughts about or recipes and post. Take a moment to visit our youtube channel. Leaving you with our Facebook page (click here) and Instagram (click here ) so you can take a peek. Don’t forget to follow us as we update these to the best of our efforts. Subscribe, share, like and evermore come back
Stay safe and see you at the next post.