Pumpkins pumpkins pumpkins!!
As I was removing the pumpkin puree from the refrigerator, the kids requested a savory recipe. Instant switch over. Let’s make some savory loaf for tea and also use it later for some pumpkin soup. The idea sounded perfect in my head. So let’s get baking.
Healthy savory pumpkin loaf ingredients
Spiced Pumpkin bread
Wet ingredient mix
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 small eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried herbs I used a mix of thyme, oregano and parsley
- 1/2 tsp dry ginger powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder can use paprika for colour and reduced heat.
- 1/2 tsp crushed black pepper
- 1.5 cups pumpkin puree
Dry ingredient mix
- 2 cup whole wheat flour ( I have used Indian atta, see the post above for details)
- 2 tbsp chickpea flour Besan
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Grease and line a loaf tin and set it aside.
- Into a large mixing bowl, add the eggs and oil and beat well till they are combined.
- Add the spice powders and salt and give it a gentle mix.
- Now add the pumpkin puree, gently mix it.
- Sift the flour, chickpea flour with baking powder and baking soda.
- Add this into the wet mix and give it a quick mix. Do not over mix.
- Transfer this batter into the loaf tin.
- Bake at 180 degrees for about 30 minutes ( check with a skewer if it comes clean)
- Once baked, remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Slice and serve after it has come to room temperature.
Lessons learnt from this Pumpkin bread – Protips
Cracking this is common in a loaf tin bake. I wouldn’t worry about it. If it bothers you, bake the batter in a round cake tin instead so the heat movement is more uniform.
Double Sifting the flour- double Sifting the whole wheat flour is absolutely essential to get the desired airiness to the loaf as the other ingredients are pretty dense too.
How to use this Pumpkin bread.
With soup – the pumpkin loaf slices are so flavourful and add to the pumpkiness of roasted butternut squash soup. You could also try it with creamy lemon barley soup.
For breakfast-pumpkin bread toast with scrambled beans ,masala tofu and coffee sounds like a plan. I haven’t tested it, but can surely say that they will make a great savoury breakfast together.
Panzanella- not much of the loaf was left, but the next day we recreated our classic Panzanella with pieces of this pumpkin loaf. Other ingredients were the same as in this panzanella recipe. The deep pumpkin flavours actually sat well with the ripe tomatoes and cucumbers.
So that’s is it folks. Hope you have kept the stash of pumpkin puree ready as this loaf is something you will keep making.
Happened to make a huge stash of Pumpkin puree?
We hope you will love to share with us your thoughts about or recipes and post. Take a moment to visit our youtube channel. Leaving you with our Facebook page (click here) and Instagram (click here ) so you can take a peek. Don’t forget to follow us as we update these to the best of our efforts. Subscribe, share, like and evermore come back
Stay safe and see you at the next post.