There are a couple of things I have learnt to do in the southern hemisphere winter . Crank up that old oven in my kitchen and feel that warmth. The aroma of cinnamon and vanilla fills the house with the warmth and I simple love it. In my dreams,I wish there was a fire place and a dog too. But for now they are my wishes.
Don’t be afraid to bake
Baking forever has classified itself as an exact science. This certainly creates a perception that it is difficult. Well, it is the science of baking, it is pure food chemistry. Coming from a science background, this doesn’t create any panic in my head. I am currently teaching my younger one to be that confident. Burn that cookies with confidence, pull that cake that will fall … it is all good. For, each timeyou learn something new and do more with confidence. Over a period of time it will create a collection of successful recipes save them and repeat. See, after all, it doesn’t look so bad. You still can bake.
This zero oil carrot cake
This carrot cake recipe is slightlyz deviating from exact science. Hold your thought, it works and worked every single time. If you read the recipe, there is loads of carrot here, yes there are 4 cups of it, co I don’t believe a carrot cake should have slithers of carrot here and there. It should have carrots in every bite and enough to feel the carrots in it.
Adding nuts to this is totally up to you, I have only added candied ginger and hemp hearts. All that carrot is enough to give it that springy moistness that the cake needs and this totally removes the need for any added oil or butter.
Will this cake freeze well?
Absolutely. Don’t hesitate, cool and freeze the cake. It will thaw delightfully. Somehow, don’t like freezing with the icing so I freeze only the cake.
The cheese frosting
According to my daughter, any carrot cake is incomplete if it was not having the cheese frosting. Since cheese frosting is a bit thicker than buttercream and holds shape better we decided to work on it with the minimal fork tricks. We have tried a basic basket weave pattern with a fork. How do you like it?
Hope you will like this recipe, do let us know how your zero oil bake comes out. If you are looking for a classic vanilla cake with funfetti – click here.
Enjoy your day, stay safe and stay in touch.
Lots of carrot, carrot cake
- 4 medium eggs
- 1 cup unrefined sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 4 cups carrots grated
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
on top of the cake
- 2 tbsp Hemp seeds
for the cheese frosting
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 150 gram cream cheese
- 2 tbsp butter (softened)
- 1 tbsp crystallised ginger or candied ginger
to make the cake
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees for 10 minutes
- Grease the baking pan and dust it with flour. or line the pan with baking paper.
- Into a large mixing bowl, crack and add the eggs, cinnamon powder and the sugar.
- Whisk till the sugar is well dissolved and the eggs are fluffy.
- Sift in the flours, baking powder and baking soda and fold gently.
- Add the carrots, crystallised ginger and fold well.
- Pour into the greased mould and tap well ( this remove any trapped air in the cake.
- Sprinkle the hemp seeds on top and place the cake mix in the oven
- Bake till the skewer comes out clean in the centre of the cake.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place it on a cooling rack.
- Once the cake is cooled unmould the cake and let it rest for 1 hour
For the cheese frosting
- Into the mixing bowl add the cream cheese, the icing sugar and softened butter.
- Whisk gently till the ingredients are combined and the cheese frosting is soft and fluffy.
- Keep it chilled.
to frost the cake
- Place the cake on a turntable ( or a makeshift one like us, an inverted plate on a tumbler.
- Place the frosting in the centre of the cake and using a knife, spread the frosting in spiral motions away from the centre while slowly turning the cake,
- Once the top of the cake is fully covered, you could work your way to the sides. (We did not)
- Using a fork, gently press in a criss-cross pattern on the frosting.
- Chill till the frosting sets.
- Enjoy the slice, with family and friends.