I am sure by now… By every alternate hour of advertisements our children also subconsciously register… We all know this is heart healthy because it has fibre. Let’s look for some more…
- Oats was predominantly cultivated as fodder. For livestock.
- It is low in calories
- Oats is gluten free if processed in factories that do not process wheat. Watch out for avenin sensitivity though.
- This grain boost the growth of beneficial bifidobacteria in the intestines.
- It doesn’t leave much room for craving as it swells up.. Yes, because of the fibers in it
- The balance between fiber and complex carbs helps slow release of sugar and hence useful for diabetics
- It contributes to beauty by supplementing the daily requirement of biotin for great looking nails and beautiful hair.
- The beta glucan helps reduction of cholesterol
How do I use oats in Indian cuisine?
- A simple sweet or savory porridge
- Pongal… The choice is endless. Swap some rice to oats and see ..you will surely be amazed by the loving response at home. Try out the recipe below for a quick start.
- 1/4 cup oats rolled or steel cut
- 2 cups drinking water
- 1/2 cup low fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup low fat milk
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp carrot grated
- 3-4 cherry tomatoes sliced
- 1 tsp cilantro chopped fine
- 5-7 grapes sliced
- 1 tsp cooking oil or ghee
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 green chilli slit
- 1/4 tsp fresh ginger root grated
- 1 sprig curryleaves
- 1 pinch Asafoetida
- Into a cooking pot add 2 cups of water and bring to a bubble on medium heat.
- Add in the rolled oats and stir well. if using steel cut it is better to soak for an hour before cooking
- Set it for cooling.
- Meanwhile, grate the carrot, chop the herbs and cut all the other vegetables and set aside.
- In a small pan prepare the tempering by adding the oil followed by the mustard seeds. When it splutters add the rest of the ingredients and saute well. remove from heat and set aside.
- When the cooked oats is completely cooled mix it with yogurt and salt. if too thick add a little milk at a time and adjust thickness to a semisolid state or like mashed potatoes.
- Add in the vegetables of choice, grapes , herbs, and the tempering.
- Add salt, mix well and check for proper seasoning. Enjoy a cooling bowl.