One of the first ways I learnt to eat yoghurt was when my mom topped crispy fried bits of okra on the vendakkai pachadi. She always used to give me more of these crispy ones if I finish the small bowl of yoghurt soaked ones she gave first. Slowly the deal worked out… I learnt to eat the yoghurt and she could get my plate cleaned up.
With the love for okra running in the blood, my kids are satisfied with this recipe too. From the traditional deep-fried okra bits, the major change we have made to the recipe is to use sauteed ones.
The coconut flavour infused from the fresh ground coconut in the recipe gives a sense of hometown that I miss.
This is also a Sadhya special pachadi recipe you often see on the right-hand side too corner of the banana leaf meal.
Since this pachadi is a raw recipe it’s the quick way to use up small bits of sauteed leftover okra too. Sometimes we happily pair it with a pulao or as a side dish for chappathi. It tastes best on hot summer days with the cooling feel if yoghurt. Mind you, you cannot leave the prepared dish outside for. Long as it turns sour easily and gets spoiled.
Read up on the benefits of okra/ladies finger and the time-tested methods to make it non-slimy in Okra stirfry
Try these on the sadhya menu
As much as you may like these… Adding up a few more sadhya preps and yoghurt based recipes for a quick reference.
Don’t miss to tag @mildlyindian when you make the recipes.
okra in coconut yogurt sauce
- 10 okra vendakkai, bhindi, ladies finger
- 1 cup low fat yogurt
- oil to spray
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
- dry red chilli optional
- 1 sprig curry leaves
to grind to paste
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 tbsp grated coconut
- 1 green chilli deseeded
- Saute the okra as mentioned in https://mildlyindian.com/nonsticky-okra-stir-fry/
- Whisk the yoghurt well and set aside
- grind the coconut, cumin and chillies to a fine paste
- Whisk this into the yoghurt well.
- Add the ingredients for tempering in a small pan and once they splutter in the heat remove and add to the prepared yogurt.
- Add in the sauteed bits of okra and serve immediately
Sodium: 522mgSugar: 3gFiber: 2gPotassium: 120mgCholesterol: 4mgCalories: 78kcalTrans Fat: 0.002gMonounsaturated Fat: 0.4gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.1gSaturated Fat: 4gFat: 5gProtein: 3gCarbohydrates: 7g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!