Here is that moan-worthy cake that has all the best bits the familiarity of banana, no oil, hidden avocado, and that decadent chocolate ganache to dig in. It is a perfect showstopper on the dessert table and easy to bake.
Avocados flood the Australian markets all year. Our weekly vegetable baskets get one or two of these. Once we are done with the guacamole, lassi or chutney, I run out of good ideas to keep them inspiring. Especially it is the ones that are slightly mushy that remain behind. This week we got 4 in the basket! This certainly needs a bit of thinking. Since it is winter, the oven comes in handy for some dessert testing. The new skill in learning is the microwave chocolate ganache for the topping.
Overview of the ingredients for the banana avocado cake
Avocados- blessed in Australia as we get Avocados all year around. The Hass and the shepherd varieties. Since the Hass variety has a better mashable texture, it is more suited to make this banana avocado cake. To use it in this recipe all you need to do is cut it in half, take out the seed and scoop the flesh to add with your bananas. Since this is a ero oil cake, you need the fat content from the avocado for the perfect cake.
Bananas – the familiarity of flavour comes from the bananas in this cake. This gives a perfect moitness to the cake.
Egg- Eggs provide the rise that is necessary for the cake.
Almond flour- I love the nutty flavour that almond flour gives the cake. The cake however is not gluten-free. Almond flour is made from blanched almonds and is smoother, almond meal made from whole almonds will not however give the same moistness.
Whole wheat flour – I have used generic whole meal flour. You try sprouted whole wheat flour too.
Maple syrup-Ooo I love the fragrant of the mapl syrup in the cake and it does not make it overly sweet.
Ingredients for the microwave chocolate ganache
The chocolate ganache is one we all fancy to get perfect as we develop our chocolate skills. Though it is an easy recipe the skill is in getting a smooth finish. Don’t worry, it is only baking and as long as you enjoy the process, it will slowly turn out perfect. The ganache is perfect for sipping the strawberries, cheesecakes to layer up parfaits etc. The ganache takes just 2 ingredients.
Chocolate chips – The flavour of a chocolate ganache totally depends on the chocolate you choose. Personally, I love milk chocolate chips but if you love the chocolate intensity, try dark chocolate. Among the chocolate chips, you will find both the melts and the ones that stay firm upon baking. Choose the melts for the best microwave chocolate ganache. Eating chocolate will not work if you are using a bar, try cooking a chocolate bar.
Heavy cream- heavy cream or heavy whipping cream is the one you need for the recipe. You need the fat to keep the ganache perfect and velvety.
Various styles to bake this cake.
The banana avocado cake batter is very good in the fact that this can be baked in a few different ways depending on your requirements.
One-layer cake– we have currently baked this avocado cake as a one-layer cake.
Bundt cake- grease the bundt cake pan and pour the cake batter in. Bake in a preheated oven for …., 5 minutes lesser than. The shape of the Bundt pan helps in cooking from the centre to cutting down the cake time.
Cupcakes– we have backed this banana avocado cake batter as cupcakes too. The texture is soft and moist and perfect for snack boxes or as a shareable dessert at work. YOu can add up the same chocolate ganache to top it or try some vanilla buttercream.
Banana avocado cake with chocolate ganache
- cake mould
- baking oven
- mixing bowls and spoons.
- measuring cups and spoons
Wet ingredient mix
- 2 medium Banana
- 1 small avocado
- 2 medium eggs in room temperature
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup almond flour.
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup heavy cream use whipping cream.
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips milk chocolate
- Sift together the whole wheat flour, cinnamon powder, baking soda and baking powder and set aside.
- Preheat the over to 180 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Into a mixing bowl. peel and the bananas.
- Mash them well.
- Cut and scoop the flesh from the avocado and add to the banana.
- Mash this and add the cracked eggs. maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Whick this mix till it is smooth
- Add the sifted dry mix to the wet mix, Add the Almond meal too.
- Combine the wet and dry mix well till they form a smooth cake batter.
- Pour this in the prepared cake tin and bake
- Place the cake at 180 degrees for 20 minutes.
- check with the skewer to see if the cake come out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let the cake cool
For the chocolate ganache
- Place the cream and chocolate in a microwave safe bowl.
- Zapp for 30 seconds.
- Remove the bowl and mix gently.
- Zapp for another 30 seconds and remove ( careful it will be hot).
- Whisk gently so that the chocolate mix in well.
- The ganache will be a bit runny at this stage, and it will thicken as it cools.
To assemble the cake
- Place the cake on a rack or a turntable.
- Once the ganache has cooled a bit spread gently to create the swirls.
- The pattern you choose is up to you, but remember to spread fast as the ganache thicken as it cools.
- The ganache will harden if placed in the fridge, but stays soft when the cake is around 2o to 25 degrees.
Make ahead and store right
The cake stays well in the fridge for a week in an airtight container. Freeze the cake easily as it thaws beautifully. However, the ganache you may want to work on is fresh, as frozen ganache is not s pretty sight.
Set up that party dessert table
The dessert table is certainly the most talked about after any party. It is not about having exotic desserts but enjoying the whole connection with them. I start with a couple of key cakes, a few other nibbles and a fresh fruit platter. For the table, arrange the desserts at various heights and lay some flowers across the table. Oooo that now looks like dessert decadence. Here are a couple of my top choices that I go with when I make this cake as a centrepiece for a dessert table.
Garjar ka halwa tart
Chocolate crackles (pleases all ages)
Summer fruit salad
This is hands down the moist, fluffy, flavour-loaded banana avocado cake you will ever make. When you try banana avocado cake don’t forget to tag us on your socials or rate us in the discussion below. if you just need a cake moment by yourself, pair it with a cup of hot vanilla milk. We will love to hear from you even if the cake failed, so we can work backwards to see if we can make it better.
Follow us on our Instagram or Facebook page. Keep in touch and see you in the next post too.