Finally.. It is here cranberry apple jam
Every time I begin to write about the cranberry apple jam I feel a real writers block (not much of the writer… But the block is true!!). The recipe is real special and I do rarely share this precious beauty as it comes from the yummiest batch of freeze dried cranberries from my cousin. Thankyou Nara
Also, I love it so don’t think it lasts any long in the fridge hence the shelf life I never got to calculate coz we are always having a dig at it.
Discussed in the cranberry tea post is so if the benefits of cranberry. This batch of jam is going to make it even better.
How to use this jam ?
- The jam on a simple toast or scones
- Sandwich jam cookie
- Yummiest smoothies
- Topping for frozen yogurt or cream cottage cheese.
- A tbsp into soda water for a refreshing Sherbet style drink with a wedge of lime
- Overnight oat or chia topping
- Or for jam swirl muffins
Unlike the store bought jams this one has no pectin added. The pectin naturally found in the apples and cranberry is enough to give a smooth texture. Pectin is a polysaccharide which with sugar and a bit of lemon forms a gelling agent for the jams. Fresh or freeze dried a hand full of cranberries to the boring looking apples make it exciting and colorful.
Enjoy happy breakfast.
If you looking for more cranberry recipes.. try the absolutely tropically influenced salad
Check out the recipe for strawberry preserve also….
Most importantly, don’t miss to follow or subscribe…
Cranberry apple jam
- 1 cup apple diced
- 1/3 cup cranberries fresh or freeze dried
- 1/2 cup brown sugar adjust based on the sweetness of the apples
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- a pinch of nutmeg
- a pinch of dry ginger powder
- Soak the cranberries in apple juice for 20 minutes
- Clean and core the apples. Dice them with the peel if not waxed.
- Add the apples into the cooking pot followed by the soaked cranberries.
- Let that come to a simmer and add the sugar
- Keep scraping the sides when the fruit bubbles up gently
- Add in the nutmeg and dry ginger powder and simmer till the fruits breakdown and form a lovely glossy texture.
- Store the jam in clean sun dried or oven dried bottles