A quick addition for under 30 minutes week day dinner , or should we say a busy day dinner is a quick cooking “One pot Zitti and Peas”.
Than having multiple pots and lots of wash up lets make a one pot weekday dinner. Less wash up, happy mommy. ( see me smiling as a Cheshire cat- you will too with this one pot version). Ziti is a tube shaped smooth and easy pasta to cook. It holds a smooth sauce well too.
Peas of course, is a classic combo for the dinner. It is highly appealing to kids as it doesn’t look voluminous to eat. As a legume is versatile and takes up well with a tomato base sauce of the pasta.
Nutritionally, peas are rich in fiber and as a legume provides a good amount of protein. It is useful as a high energy provider. The fiber content and low glycemic index being high is useful for diabetics. Peas has been the highlight of recent studies due to the Coumestrol content which is recommended in stomach cancer control. It has been proved to be highly effective in reducing inflammation too.
As much as a pea is loved as a food , they are a farmer friendly crop as it can fix nitrogen in the soil and help to reduce the extent of chemicals used as fertilizers.
Its far easier for the kids to embrace the sweet flavour of the pea, to make this dish a successful tummy filler.
You can read other easy to prepare dishes for dinner here.
Do check them out to make your busy days easier . Do not miss to subscribe to us for such effective recipes and experiences. Feel free to let us know your preferences to help you out more. Enjoy a happy weekday dinner.
Ziti and Peas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 shallot
- 8 ounce ziti pasta dried, approximately 1 cup
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 2 cup drinking water
- 12 cherry tomatoes or one diced tomato
- 1 cup peas fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup cheddar grated
- 1 tbsp basil rolled and chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel the garlic and shallots and mince well. Slice the cherry tomatoes in half and set them aside.
- Into a big heavy pot add the oil roast the shallots and garlic
- Add the cherry tomatoes halved and saute for a minute.
- Add in the tomato puree, water and salt, Bring it to a gentle boil.
- Add in the Ziti Pasta and cover.
- Stir around every four to five minutes till nearly all the water is absorbed.
- Add in the Peas and Stir for a couple more minutes.
- Sprinkle cracked black pepper to taste
- To serve, add the hot pasta to the bowl and top with cheddar and chopped basil.
- The cheddar will melt gently giving a creamy texture to the pasta