It has been a couple of hectic weeks of late. Work, kids, weather all on high gear! It is high time for the balancing act. This weekend all I can wish for is to unwind and give my very patient self a break. To unwind we need a good drink. That’s up today, the kiwi berry mojito with the kiwiberry syrup I made earlier this week
The kiwiberry syrup
Early this week I had picked up a couple of boxes of kiwiberries out of the sheer need of change. Once we made the colourful kiwiberry salad, we had a few more of the kiwi berries left (not many, just a few). Since the soft-skinned kiwi berries don’t stay long, a simple syrup with them was the easiest way to preserve for a few days. The kiwi berry simple syrup has the delicate fragrance of the kiwiberry and the crunchy seeds
That syrup certainly came in handy for the weekend. You can use this simple syrup to flavour your drinks and desserts, or just add it to soda for a summer evening.
Other mojito ingredients
Fresh mint leaves as I am gathering probably the last batch of summer mint before the season turns. The freshness of mint makes the best mojito.
Lime that comforting feeling you get when you sip a mojito is the acidity from the fresh limes. Lemon juice works well too. With limes, I will not muddle them with the mint as the pith can be bitter. Just squeeze out the juice and add. If you like add a slice into the glass just for fun.
Sparkling water or club soda is actually your preference. Not much of a difference, but I do find club soda a bit more alkaline than sparkling water.
Rum I have made a virgin mojito, however, if you wish to make a proper one, you need an ounce per glass. Any over will ruin the mojito.
Once you have the ingredients ready, it is literally mixed, ice and drink!!
Pair the mojito well
The kiwiberry mojito will be perfect t when you set up your barbecue. Share and drink, don’t forget to make the mocktail version for the ones who like to keep away.
Keep some finger snacks handy for the weekend that goes well with a mojito. We have mushroom finger rolls, cheese cigars and chips with kale guacamole for this weekend
- 1 saucepan
- 1 measuring cups and spoons
for kiwiberry simple syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 12 kiwiberry
For making the mojito
- 1 lime
- 1 cup soda water or sparkling water
- 2-3 sprigs mint leaves
- ice cubes
- 1 wedge lime
- Into the saucepan add the sugar and water
- Let the sugar dissolve.
- Now place it on medium heat to bring to a boil.
- Add the sliced kiwiberries and mix well.
- When the sugar has been mixed in and the syrup boiled, the berries slightly lose the green colour.
- Crush the berries to add more flavour to the syrup.
- Remove from heat and set it aside.
- Let this cool competely.
- Store in an airtight glass bottle or jar for up to two weeks in the refrigerator.
to make the mojito
- Add the mint and lime juice into a tall glass and muddle the mint for a couple of times.
- Add 2-3 tbsp of the kiwiberry syrup and scoop in a couple of the kiwiberries into the glass.
- Add icecubes and top it with soda water or sparkling water.
- Serve immedietly.
We hope you will love to share with us your thoughts about or recipes and post. Take a moment to visit our youtube channel. Leaving you with our Facebook page (click here) and Instagram (click here ) so you can take a peek. Don’t forget to follow us as we update these to the best of our efforts. Subscribe, share, like and evermore come back
Stay safe and see you at the next post.