The best flavour for the Haloween season is pumpkin. Though we are seasons apart the global markets opening up have made these celebrations possible anywhere you are. Yet instead of the very spooky ones, we are going a bit more angelic way. The pumpkin spiced latte was quite a treat that my kids enjoy from time to time and that got me thinking to frost the easiest ever chocolate cupcakes with them.Here is the pumpkin latte recipe for you to try and it is the same pumpkin spice mix that I have used in today’s frosting.
Since it was the holidays the kids had the simple recipe to work through. Did they like the buttercream!! I am sure I got only half the frosting to put on the cupcakes. The other half was happily devoured in the pretences of licking the bowl and cleaning the whisk.
Some dos and don’ts with buttercream frosting
- Unlike a fondant, butter frosting is a very smooth and gentle frosting to work with so use a very gentle hand on them.
- Make sure the butter is in room temp before you cream it. Please please don’t microwave it to speed up the process, it just ruins it all.
- Make a lump-free buttercream and then add the sugar and spice, this gives an even finish.
- Never over whip the buttercream as it starts to give the ghee out by the heat of whipping.
- The frosting will stay perfect in the refrigerator for a couple of days. Just run the mixer again when you are getting it back to frost the cake.
- The best of all… Don’t frost a warm cake, the frosting butter will simply melt and spoil it all (guess what?!! Experience talks here)
Hope you enjoy this frosting as much as I do. It is a fun one to do and don’t go lean on it here. Butter frostings don’t like leans. This recipe can be altered to vanilla or bubble gum frosting by simply altering the flavourant. In this recipe, we have frosted a simple blender based chocolate cupcake recipe this time with swirled in pumpkin mash. Here is how to make the cupcakes in the easiest way.
If you are looking for more frosting recipes, try this too
I have done this recipe with Nuttelex and it works well. However, my experience with creamed coconut oil was way too sticky to spread.
This fall season, hope you will try and like this recipe. For us, we are going on spring with the fun of a brighter Halloween.