With a double whammy of mulberries, you will find a collection of recipes coming your way. Just like any other berries, the sweet, faintly tart juiciest ones are of course the best. Here is a fun fact – botanically mulberry is not a berry but a collective fruit. Yet behaving similar to a Blackberry this refreshing, fake blood squirting, finger staining mulberries are equally refreshing. Here is a link to a bit more about these berries. – Mulberries
Our recent stay at Coraki has us get a second share of these berries growing in the wild. Here are the details of where we stayed.
After a few days on the road, all we craved for was simple fresh food. One of the best ways to recoup is lots of probiotics. One of the soothing sources of these is yoghurt. So why not a breakfast parfait with stewed mulberries and a few crushed digestives cookies for crunch. These easily made breakfasts saved us a lot of time and interactions during these COVID times. These quick options only needed us a quick visit to the groceries at rare occasions and plenty of time to explore the less travelled NSW.
No mulberries to make this recipe?
If you have no mulberries, here are some ideas. The closest to the taste is with blackberries. You could use the same stew technique for apples, blueberries or pears to make your parfait. Keep it seasonal and local and that’s is the best way to go.
Here is a selection of images to take you through your preparation of this breakfast parfait
Hope you are enjoying our blog.
We would love to hear from you in our comment box. Your suggestions and trials are what keeps us motivated. Do share your thoughts below in the discussions. If you love to have updates from us don’t miss to subscribe to this blog. Alternatively, you can follow us on these social media handles.
Facebook : Click here to join our Facebook page
Instagram : Check out our Insta page
Twitter : Check out our tweets
Foodgwaker : Dont miss this drool-worthy collection
For now, we are back on the road, exploring the national parks along the Manning and Richmond Valley. We will keep you posted on these soon.
Stay in touch and stay healthy and safe.
See you soon.
Mulberry breakfast parfait
to stew the berries
- 1 cup mulberry
- 3 tbsp coconut water ( or just plain water)
to assemble the parfait
- 3 cups low fat yogurt
- 2-3 biscuit use high fibre, zero sugar added breakfast varieties.
- Into a small saucepan add the mulberries and the coconut water and set on a slow simmer.
- The berries will release a lot of water and slowly soften.
- Mush the berries gently with the back of a spoon as they soften to release more juice and sweetness.
- Allow the slow simmer to continue for another 4 to 5 minutes and turn off the stove.
- Let this stew cool down,
- Meanwhile, add a thick layer of yoghurt into the 4 cups
- Add two to three tbsp of the stewed mulberries and top it with crushed cookies.
- Add another layer of yoghurt and top it with more of the mulberries.
- Top it off with more crumbs and some fresh berries.
- Chill till use and enjoy a cold breakfast parfait.