Prep up for watermelon gazpacho
Watermelon- get a good seedless watermelon for making this soup. This helps when you blend up the soup the fibres can remain and the soup doesn’t become watery. You can choose the red ones or the yellow ones. I tend to quickly go to red the colour that is the most vibrant in them.
Veggies – so this is where you can add variety. Roma tomatoes, a cucumber, red peppers (capsicum) and garlic are a must for a Spanish style cold soup. I prefer to chop up my red onions and not really blend them in. If you prefer a smooth soup like the tomato cold soup we did, add them to the blender along with the other ingredients.
In addition to this, we love a little bit of a bite to the watermelon soup so it is unlike watermelon juice. So finely chop the onion, avocado and nagabon chilli to add to the centre of the bowl when you ladle out the soup. Squeeze a bit of lemon in this mix if you are storing it so the avocado doesn’t darken. to this mix, you can add some fresh sweet corn as well.
Bread- the watermelon and the veggies are all water-laden and the soup can be thin. To avoid this add the soft part of the soup while blending. This thickens and gives a scoopable feel to the soup.
Herbs- I love just a bit of torn mint and added to the bowl. It just adds a bit of freshness to the soup
Vinegar – red wine vinegar tastes the best with gazpacho soups..it adds the acidity that Roma lacks.
Oil- a good salad grade olive oil is the one that rounds sup the flavours in any Spanish dishes. Just a couple of drops on top elevates the flavour.
Spices- other that salt and pepper to flavour, try a pinch of cumin seeds in the blend. That peps the flavour a lot more than just making taste like just watermelon.
- 1 blender
- 1 Cutting board
- 1 Knife
- 2 cup watermelon cubed
- 1 medium Tomato cubed (use roma)
- 1 celery stalk
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1 small english Cucumber cubed
- 1 thick slice Whole meal bread crusty breads are preffered.
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
for the relish in the centre.
- 4 tbsp avocado finely minced
- 4 tbsp cucumber finely minced
- 1/2 tsp red chilli finely minced ( I have used nagabon, adjust as you need)
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp lime juice
- salt to taste
- crushed black pepper ( optional)
- 2-3 mint leaves
- Chop and add all the ingredients into the blender.
- BLend to a smooth blend.
- Chill the blend while you prepare the relish.
- Finely chop the relish ingredients and toss with the lime juice.
- Place a small portion of the relish in the centre of the bowl and ladle the cold soup in.
- Add the torn mint leaves, salt and pepper.
- Enjoy the sourp with more bread and a salad on the side.
Perfect pairing with the watermelon gazpacho.
What to do with the watermelon rind?
We hope you will love to share with us your thoughts about our recipes and post. Take a moment to visit our youtube channel. Leaving you with our Facebook page (click here) and Instagram (click here ) so you can take a peek. Don’t forget to follow us as we update these to the best of our efforts. Subscribe, share, like and evermore come back
Stay safe and see you at the next post.