Amaranthus is a super power vegetable. This simple stir fry is a favourite in Kerala.
Included here are the both versions of red and green amaranthus stir fry.
Try more Kerala style dishes like kootu
Cheera thornan – stir fry amaranthus greens
A nutrient rich substitute for Spinach.
- 1 bunch amaranthus greens Washed, cleaned and chopped. The chopped volume is around 4 cups when packed.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil you can use any vegetable oil of your choice.
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Channa Dal
- 1/2 tsp Urad Dal
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 shallot crushed
- 2 dry red chillies broken
- salt to taste
- In a wok add the oil followed by mustard seeds.
- When it splutters assessments the Channa and Urad Dal with chillies, shallot and curry leaves. Stir it around till the Dal goes golden.
- Now add the chopped amaranthus red.
- Sprinkle salt.
- Toss for a minute. Cover and keep it on a low flame for two minutes till it wilts.
- Add the grated coconut.
- Stir fry for another two minutes.
- Check the salt levels….enjoy warm
- You can substitute amaranthus ( green colored ) instead of red one and follow the same instructions.
Calories: 153kcalCarbohydrates: 7gProtein: 3gFat: 14gSaturated Fat: 12gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.3gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 1181mgPotassium: 80mgFiber: 2gSugar: 1g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!