That sweet traditions have to be seriously looked at once in a way to keep up the good feeling. Now my Facebook and Instagram feed has been flowing with tantalising images of the classic carrot halwa. As it is the season for carrots and winter in many parts of Indian, I am literally left hot and sweaty for some.
With a couple of heatwaves our way, there was no way I would even think of stepping into that halwa making zone. So naughty that halwa kept coming back and forth on my feed, till I couldn’t resist anymore. What’s the best way to solve a long cooking process without hitting that heat… microwave of course. Zapp and get stuff done in a much faster way.
Just like in most of my recipes, there is a variation. Guess what I found in the farmers market, purple carrots. Previously I have used the purple carrots in the salad.
Salad recipe – Kadalebele kosambari salad with purple carrot
Purple carrot kosambari and today we have the classic gajar ka halwa revamped to make microwave Kali gajar ka halwa. I had no heat to withstand and did the halwa in the comfort of the cool drink and a book to keep me company. The occasional stir and mix and zap did the trick. Are you ready for this?
When you make this recipe, do tag us or let us know in comments how you like this recipe. We love hearing from you and it helps us improve the experience for you. Let’s catch up on Instagram or Facebook. Here are the links.
Stay safe, see you soon
Kaligajar ka gajrela
- 1.5 cups carrots grated
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 tbsp Sugar/brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp ghee / clarified butter
- 2 tsp almond flakes
- 2 tsp raisins
- Into a large microwave-safe bowl, add the ghee, the almonds and the raisins and microwave of high for 15 seconds.
- Remove the bowl carefully and remove the roasted almonds and raisins. Set this aside till you need later.
- Add the carrots into the same bowl, add the milk and microwave it on high for two minutes.
- Stir well and give it another 2 minutes on high.
- Add the sugar and mix well. Set on microwave high for another two minutes.
- Add the cardamom powder, the almonds, raisins. Stir well and set on high for a minute.
- The carrot halwa is ready to serve.