Spicing the yogurt.
What makes this spiced yogurt recipe better?
Thickness of the yogurt – The yogurt will not coat well if you have a very running yogurt. this will leave clumps of pomegranate and the yogurt separated. at the same time, you don’t want hung yogurt as it becomes too thick. So a natural set or Greek yogurt works well in this recipe. You don’t need a flavoured yogurt too as you are going to spice it.
Herbs to choose– Usually I go for mint and coriander for the raita recipes as they pair better with most of the mains. You could try chives here as they taste well together in a pomelo salad. The details of ingredients and their measurements are in this recipe card. You could also save it directly into your pinboard from here.
Bablimas raita - Spiced yogurt with pomelo.
- mixing bowls and spoons.
For the spiced yogurt
- 1 cup low fat yogurt whisked
- 1/4 tsp chaat masala
- 1/8 tsp salt adjust to taste
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp roasted cumin powder
Fruit and herbs.
- 1/2 cup pomelo peeled and cleaned
- 1 tsp coriander leaves chopped
- 1/2 tsp mint leaves chopped
To prepare the spiced yogurt.
- Into a bowl add the yogurt, salt, cumin powder, chaat masala, red chilli powder.
- Whisk this mix together till they are a smooth.
- Set it aside till needed.
The fruit and herb addition.
- Peel and separate the arils of pomelo and remove all the white membrane.
- Add this to the spiced yogurt mix.
- Add the mint and coriander leaves also to the spiced yogurt and mix.
- Transfer the raita to a serving dish.
- Sprinkle the red chilli powder diagonally in a line.
- Sprinkle chaat powder diagonally in the opposite direction creating diamond shapes in teh centre.
- Place a bit of the pomelo arils in teh centre of each diamond design.
- Chill the raita till serving time.
Best to pair this recipe with.
Here are a few mains I will pair with this spiced yogurt.
Mixed vegetable pulao
Young jackfruit biriyani
Sattu ke parathe
I will not pair this recipe with peas and lemon pulao as their variation of citrus will conflict or pair it with kalonji pulao as the kalonji flavour will not go with the pomelo.
More pomelo recipes?
Kambli naranga achar
Sensational citrus punch
Hope you enjoy making this recipe. Do share with us what you thought about this unique raita recipe. Subscribe to get regular updates on such unique recipes. Tag us @mildlyindian or # mildlyindian when you pair this raita at your Indian dinner platter.